Monday, July 7, 2008

Cobbler Frenzy

I seem to be in a bit of a cobbler frenzy lately. Lots of luscious fruits are in season now and it just seems to be the best solution. Above is a scrummy apricot cobbler I made yesterday with fruit my neighbor gave me. The recipe is from Lee Bailey's Country Desserts. It's really fast and easy.

1 1/2 C flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons shortening
1/4 C butter
5 tablespoons ice water

6 cups fruit
3/4 C sugar

1/4 C butter
sugar for sprinkling

Preheat ove to 425. Have a 9" round or 8" square dish that is at least 2" deep. Cut shortening and butter into flour and salt with a pastry cutter. Sprinkle with the ice water and stir gently. Gather into ball and roll out on a floured surface into a rough 15" circle. Transfer to dish; it should hang way over the edges. Fill with the cleaned, pitted fruit. Sprinkle with sugar. (I don't always use that much-it depends on the sweetness of the fruit.) Dot with butter pieces. Fold crust up and over the fruit. It needn't be perfect. Sprinkle with more sugar and bake for 45 minutes or until crust is brown and filling is bubbling.


Here's the one I made for my Dad on Saturday. He reminded me of all those berry picking days when we were kids. I know, Dad, I already told them about that.

P.S. I walked today/5383 steps.

7 comments:

travelbug said...

DH on today's blog: "I'm in the wrong house". :-(

Amongst The Oaks said...

Poor Uncle P! Should I be bringing a cobbler to your house too?
~Laura

Anonymous said...

Looks scrummy!
xo K

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am so coming to your house. That looks delicious.

Miss Jean said...

Wow! Set out some with a glass of milk and I'll be right over! Stay indoors and stay cool!

Unknown said...

I have a mass of frozen boysenberries I need to use -- this is just what I needed to see today.

Louise said...

I love cobbler, I remember my mum used to make lovely ones. Yours look absolutely delicious. x