Monday, April 27, 2009

The Noble Spear and Julia Child

Our town has an Asparagus Festival every spring to celebrate that noble spear, asparagus. We always donate time to put up and take down lots of the signs because we like to help promote our town. And we always go to the festival and support it that way too. It's fun to see the entertainers...
check out the arts and crafts booths...
and watch the kids enjoying the rides...


But the real reason we go every year is for this: deep fried asparagus. It is just so good. We never fix it at home this way, but once a year we devour it like this.

If you are close to Stockton, I highly recommend visiting the Asparagus Festival. It's always the third weekend in April, rain or shine. Here is their website.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And today's rose is Julia Child. I think she would be happy to be on the Asparagus Festival page because she has certainly cooked and eaten plenty of it. Wasn't she a great lady? I have two of her cookbooks, and they never let me down. They're both full of great classic recipes.

This floribunda has a wonderful yellow color and an great scent; almost like licorice. The shrub is compact and covered with flowers all season long.

5 comments:

Neabear said...

I never knew the Asparagus Festival existed. I should write down somewhere so we can plan to go next year. One year we went to the Peach Festival in Yuba City/Marysville. It is held in the summer and it was so HOT! I don't know if they still have the Peach Festival. Love the Julia Child Rose. So pretty.

Mary Bergfeld said...

That is not your ordinary small town festival! I'm sure all went well. The Julia Child rose was well named - it's as charming as its namesake.

Blondie's Journal said...

The Asparagus Festival looks like fun! Do you know how they make the fried asparagus? It looks so good (and greasy!).

I love yellow roses. Yours are stunning. And I loved Julia Child. She was the "real deal".

I wanted to tell you I saw my wisteria this weekend. I have tiny little green buds and for that I am happy, especially since I didn't think one was going to make it. YIPEE!!!!

xoxo
Janie

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I so love asparagus--and that fried asparagus looks especially delicious! Have you ever had fried squash, or battered dill pickle spears? Pretty good! My youngest daughter treats us to her fried green tomatoes and they so yummy! For Easter dinner I roasted asparagus in the oven with olive oil,lemon juice, a little sea salt and cracked pepper - everyone raved about the most simple dish I prepared!

Abby Lanes said...

I would love to bring my children to the asparagus festival! :-) What fun.
Gorgeous Julia Child rose too!
~Abby