Thursday, August 27, 2009

Covered Bridges

One sight that surprised me in Oregon was the covered bridges. I had no idea there were so many of them there, but I guess it makes sense; the roof protects the bridge structure from the rain making the bridge last much longer.
Every time we saw one, I'd ask the Lord of the Manor to pull over and I'd set up my easel and paint it. It took a while, and he got bored just waiting, so by the sixth bridge he was starting to roll his eyes, but boy I got some dandy paintings....
This one was in the town of Cottage Grove.
I think this one was just outside Cottage Grove. I think Cottage Grove boasts the most covered bridges in Oregon.
I liked the red side on this one.

This was an abandoned railroad bridge.



And I caught this seagull too at a rest stop.



Oh who am I trying to kid? I didn't really paint those pictures. I simply took the photos and "Photoshopped" them. But I like to think that's the kind of painting I'd do if I could. {sigh}

1 comment:

cjvierow said...

Hi--enjoyed your covered bridge "tour" today. We are from the Sacramento area, now in northeast Utah since the closure of McClellan AFB 10 years ago. I miss CA!!