Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stormy Weather

Living Amongst The Oaks during storms is always nerve wracking. Two huge old oaks spread their branches above our roof and I worry about them crashing down on us when it's windy. Thankfully, we only had this one small branch fall; not nearly as big as the one that fell last year, but it did break our backyard party lights. On my way home from work last night I saw several whole trees down, blocking entire streets.

And in other news, I made this cardboard silhouette at Teen1's suggestion. It hangs (get it? "hangs") in the upstairs window of Acorn Cottage and I rigged a fan to blow it gently back and forth. (Sorry for the rubbish photo, but I took it from inside through a rain splattered window.) You can see it from the house, so it should be great fun for our Halloween Party.

6 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

What a shame. It must have been one heck of a storm...And what is the little Acorn Cottage? Is that your studio?

Our house is surrounded by all types of VERY old trees and after storms, (remember, we are the Windy City!)we are always clean ing up large limbs and branches. it IS scary. The one time a huge limb came down, it fell on our neighbors home and did some gutter and roof damage.

Nature...

xoxo
Jane

JC said...

Was windy here yesterday. Tree branches going everywhere. Cats were a bit scared.

I haven't put up any decorations but we aren't having a party.

Laura said...

Yes, Acorn Cottage is what I call my little studio. It used to be a shed, but the Lord of the Manor recently refurbished it. It's only 300 square feet, yet it has a kitchenette, a bathroom, a loft and the main room which has a work table, storage, sewing machine and a sofa. I love my little studio and plan to do a post on it soon.

Lynn said...

You must live in Northern CA!
My little dog was afraid to go outside because of the wind!
Love the hanging dead guy!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love to see the cottage decorated for the holiday. I just hope the local police don't see the hangman and suspect foul play.

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

Wow your place is really coming along, very spooky.