Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Cranberry Glass Ornaments

We got our Christmas tree up and decorated last weekend. I tried to decorate it in shades of cranberry, red, white and gold. Which was difficult because I can't find cranberry glass ornaments...
but I have this old Santa that is in the right colors.

And I found this new Santa ornament at World Market.

And I recently got these ornaments from my Mom's collection. I had made them for her many years ago.
You all know how much I love cranberry glass so I left it on the mantle this year and added gold candle holders, the red transfer ware photo frames with pictures of my girls and Santa, red stockings, and some gold ribbon and tassels.



After searching for cranberry glass ornaments and finding just this ONE {isn't it gorgeous?} at World Market, I thought maybe I could make some using glass paint and clear ornaments.

So I assembled the materials and a few vases for inspiration...

mixed the paint and thinned it just a little....

and this is what I ended up with. Not exactly cranberry glass, but close. I think I thinned the paint too much, because it just kept running out until they were pink. Maybe a second coat would help. Oh, well, there's always next year. But for now I'm using them anyway...

but I'm hiding them behind the ribbon so no one will see how pale they are.

9 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

Everything looks beautiful including the ornaments you painted. Great job. Have fun with your Christmas baking.
Rosemary

Millie said...

I really like the idea of the glass paint...so many possibilities!

Joyce said...

Oooh, I love your hand painted ornies, I don't think you should hide them LOL! Very pretty!

Lucy said...

They are beautiful! Don't hide them!

travelbug said...

Oh, wonderful new banner and wanderer photos! Wonder where you took them? ;-)

Hugs!

Oh yes, your tree is lovely, as usual.

Nina Diane said...

it all looks so beautiful....great job!

Dena said...

Your touches of cranberry are simply beautiful! I have never considered painting glass, thanks for the idea!

Hugs,
Dena

Dallasmom said...

Your tree looks beautiful and matches your curtains!
And I like the new photos from Germany.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love your Cranberry glass vases and ornaments! Including the "pink" ones you made yourself! What a great idea!