Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Haunting Thoughts

There's a feeling of autumn in the air here Amongst The Oaks. Leaves are beginning to fall, mornings are cool and dark, and strange thoughts are scratching at the back of my mind. It happens every year, but it seems a little early this year: we're thinking about Halloween.

Halloween is probably my favorite holiday because it's all about fun. No cleaning, no dusting, no gift wrapping, no silver polishing, no endless cooking. Instead we let the dust pile up, let the cobwebs collect, let the silver tarnish, and let the leaves stay on the lawn. Then we gradually set out our macabre decorations until our house really does look haunted. And I love, love, love it.
I also love Halloween parties. We've had some doozies over the years, but that was before we had children. Think tombstones on the lawn, sheets on the furniture, spiderwebs, rats, bats, cockroaches, black lights, skulls, creepy music, mandatory costumes, etc.... I think the kids are finally old enough to survive one of our parties without permanent scars, so we've decided to have a party this year. It will be a multigenerational thing. We each get to invite 15 people, and if they all come, it will be totally wild.
I'm working on the invitations now and I'll share our preparations as we go along, but for now, is anyone else out there planning a party?

5 comments:

Pippajo said...

With Halloween being on a Saturday this year, we just can't help ourselves! But we're not having a proper full blown party, just a casual get-together with a few friends. Still, I'd like to make it nice and eerie over here and have been looking at all kinds of ideas already! My sister and I are all set to begin cutting swarms of bats, rats and ravens out of black paper soon!

I love that spooky bust you have; I remember it from last year!

Dawn said...

We've had great halloween parties in the past but our two kids with sensory issues just can't handle the scary, gross, gory stuff. So we do a CUTE halloween, even though they are teens. I know, not much fun in that for the grown-ups. Can't wait to see YOUR party!
Hugs,
Dawn

Miss Jean said...

Just a note to encourage you to pop on over to Becky @ http://sweetcottagedreams.blogspot.com

Becky made a comment on your dropcloth drapery post but I don't know if you go back and read comments from older posts. She has made dropcloth chair covers that are adorable.

Bishop Stone said...

It was about this time last year when I came across your site, and it was because of your halloween decorations. I am a halloween convert and look forward to our second party.

Neabear said...

Sounds like you will have fun. Last year we were traveling on Halloween so we didn't do anything. This year we travel before and travel home the day after. But we will be spending Halloween with our 3 year old granddaughter. Should be fun for us!