Thursday, October 4, 2007

Being Green

Being "green" is all the rage today, but I like to think I've always been green because I LOVE to recycle! No, not plastic bottles and cans, although we do that too. I mean household furnishings. I'd much rather have an old thing than a new thing. From spatulas (my grandmother's) to dining room furniture (hubby's grandmother's) I just prefer old things. I often frequent antique stores, thrift stores, charity shops and estate sales in search of not only beautiful things, but also well-loved, well-built, useful things. Some of my favorite finds over the years are

this toast rack from a charity shop in Skipton, this plate from a local antique shop,
this picture from a local antique mall,
this needlepoint chair from an antique shop,
this beautifully fringed chair from an estate sale,
and this mirror.
I'm going to the Alameda Point Antiques Faire this weekend with my sister and niece. We hope to help the environment a little by "recycling" some more great treasures. I'll share some photos of what we find next week. Oh, and by the way, we're carpooling.

No comments: