Friday, February 22, 2008

Almond Blossoms

I was driving through the countryside the other day and happened upon this pretty scene that I wanted to share with you. This is a typical Central California almond orchard. The trees are spaced evenly in level, sandy soil. Cover crops are grown beneath the trees to keep dust down and contribute to soil health. They are irrigated during the summer by flooding the ground beneath the trees. In the fall they shake the whole tree with a giant machine to release the nuts onto a net below. Almonds are a huge crop here.
The almond trees always bloom this time of year. My Mom, who was born in February, said they were blooming for her birthday. And what a nice gift - millions of delicate, pale pink, scented blossoms.
I was stopped waiting for a train, so I pulled over and got out to take some closer shots. The bees were busy helping the farmer. You can see one in the shot below. I like bees and I'm always happy to see them in my garden. And happy to see them here, helping to produce almonds. You go girl.

Happy Spring from Laura here Amongst The Almond Trees.


P.S. I sent out the packages to Jan and Travelbug yesterday. Let me know when you get them, ok?

No comments: