Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday - Flower Baskets

It's Outdoor Wednesday again. Please visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer to see all the other participants. And Thank you Susan for hosting Outdoor Wednesday.

I changed my flower baskets to springy flowers over the weekend. I left the white but removed the red and added pink and blue. I just love Impatiens (busy Lizzie for my UK readers) and plant lots of them here Amongst The Oaks because they tolerate the shade nicely.

So this is how the baskets look now; pink, white, and blue.



Then I noticed that some of the fibers looked messy and sort of frazzled. Compare the left side above with the right side below. Hmmm.....

I think the Black Phoebes have been plucking the fibers out to use in their nest. Below is their nest about half way built. Those fibers do seem to match the ones from my flower baskets. But you know what? I don't really mind because I like having them on our porch. Soon Mrs. Phoebe will lay her eggs, and before we know it little faces will be peering over the edge at us. I'll try to ge more photos as this little miracle happens Amongst The Oaks.

9 comments:

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Laura! Beautiful flowers! Can't wait to see the eggs! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

Anonymous said...

That must be a beautiful spring basket you have. The Mama bird must have thought those fibers are perfect for her cozy nest. I guess you wouldn't really mind to have it all fuzzled especially knowing that it is for those little birdies waiting to be hatched.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Martha said...

Beautiful flowers -- I love spring when things start growing. And do you really mind the bird it's little bit of fiber?

Lynda said...

Pretty, pretty!! It seems the birds here always prefer my baskets to nest in as well! Happy Outdoor Wednesday, Laura~

Barbara Jacksier said...

Isn't spring amazing! I just returned east after a week in So Cal. I especially loved the Balboa Island gardens.

Kat said...

How lovely! Im still waiting for spring to arrive.

Anonymous said...

Laura, spring is happening for you and it is lovely. I love the flowers. I am planting pansies. They like cold weather. Our birds are nesting around here too. I love the birds in spring.

Hugs...Jeanne

Light and Voices said...

It is wonderful to have a family of birds nesting. Fantastic flower shots. Neato!
Joyce

a quiet life said...

pretty colors and enjoy your nest!