Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cottage Love

Here are some cottages around town that I have always loved. This first one is more French than English, but I love the service porch details
and these dormer windows.



This one is more Colonial and perfect in its restrained use of details.



Here is a little English style cottage. This style was quite popular across America in the 1920s and 1930s, and especially in this neighborhood.
Just look at its charming little porch with the timbers, diamond pane windows, and iron railing and hardware.



I've been inside this house and it's beautiful. The daughter that I knew in school had the bedroom over the living room (on the left there) and since the living room ceiling was taller than the rest of the house, there were two steps up to her room from the upstairs hallway. What a delightful detail!

The front door. I remember her mother actually polishing the brass threshold. And below you see another charming detail: wavy boards and tall vents on the gable ends.



I particularly like the little hood over the front door on this one.


I've always loved this house. It's quite small, but so charming. They have let ivy grow over some of the details, but you can still see the diamond pane windows.


This version uses wiggly half timbering and stone cladding.


This house is just about the cutest with half timbering, casement windows, diamond panes in the bay window, overhanging story above the front door, wrought iron hardware...

and this delightful little porch off the living room. Wouldn't it be wonderful to sit out there on a warm evening sipping your Pimms?



This brick cottage across from the park has beautiful detail on its front window.


And this wonderful old house is in need of a more caring owner. Some of its beautiful details have actually been replaced with (horror) modern versions. Let's hope he never finds a way to remove this.

I hope you enjoyed this and I'll try do get more photos soon.

9 comments:

Knitty, Vintage and Rosy said...

From one cottage lover to another, gorgeous photos, and there's just something about the first one.

Lisa
Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

Blondie's Journal said...

I could spend days wandering around this neighborhood! I can just imagine it coming to life this spring!

Although all of the homes are beautiful, I think I like the English style cottage the most. It's more me. Let me know if it ever goes up for sale! :-)

Thanks for a great post!!

xoxo
Jane

Tara said...

Laura

Are you sure you do not live in a little section of Cornwall right in CA???

What a great tour!

Patricia said...

What beautiful photos - I enjoyed them so much. What part of the country do you live in ? Just lovely.

tam said...

I really enjoyed the photos of all those beautiful homes!Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week~Smiles~Tam!

Neabear said...

I loved your pictures! Fun post to read and informative too.

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

What a beautiful neighborhood you live in! Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i want to move there!! any of them. the teesy one. s i g h !jkj

Andrea said...

These homes are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.