Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Victory Garden

The latest AARP magazine has an article about growing your own vegetables like the Victory Gardens from the war era. I think home gardens are a great way to bring nutritious food to the table anytime. Not only give do they give one a sense of accomplishment, but they teach your children that food doesn't grow in plastic bubbles with price stickers. And there is nothing better than a warm tomato eaten right in the garden. Unless maybe it's Caprese Salad made within minutes of picking said tomato, but I digress.

My family had a large vegetable garden back in the 1970s when it definitely wasn't popular. I remember moaning and whinging when we were forced to help tend it. However, I don't remember complaining about the fresh veggies on my plate. We grew tomatoes, corn, beans, okra, squash, radishes, cucumbers, and Bermuda grass; lots of Bermuda grass.


The magazine has several easy-to-grow vegetables listed and a little chart of a manageable garden. And I will plant warm season vegetables later, but I decided to jump on the bandwagon early this year and plant lettuce while it was still cool.

I started really small because I was too lazy to cultivate the existing garden beds. So I sowed the seeds in a large pot on the patio and they are about 3/4" tall now. The weather here has been wet and cool, just the way lettuce likes it, and it's getting taller every day. Right now I could make a salad for a family of mice if they were dainty eaters, but I feel confident that I will soon be able to make a salad for my family. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I am so eager to start my vegetable garden. Your pictures have me even more so.

Although I can get super fresh vegetables at the farm stands in Michigan, I get so much satisfaction from growing my own.

Thanks for an inspiring post!

xoxo
Jane

Bishop Stone said...

I love the pictures in your blog. I had great plans for a huge vegie garden but as we are on tank water I have to hand water and then there are the ever hungry possums that love to eat whatever I plant. But i keep trying.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Your photos inspire me! I cannot wait for Spring so I think I'll try my hand at starting early indoors! I finally figured out how to put my photos on with my posts, so I hope to write more about my gardening efforts! V.

Neabear said...

Looks like you have a great start there.